Being a lineman is not an easy job. You have to lug around heavy equipment, fix in long cables while climbing long and sturdy ladders.
It is a job that requires clarity of mind, sturdiness and extreme care as little mistakes can cause huge problems.
Which is why when it comes to buying boots all linesmen need to take proper caution.
As a linesman wearing only the best linesman boots can save you from discomfort, pain and electrical hazards.
Your linesman boot needs to be firm, strong with a good grip. Made with good leather and strong soles and be an all-around solid shoe.
Top-Rated Lineman Boots 2018
Recommended Best Lineman Boots Review
To help you make the right choices. We have a curated a list of some of the best climbing boots for the lineman to help you make the right decisions:
1. Danner Men’s Quarry USA 8-Inch Alloy Toe Work Boot – best cheap lineman work boots.
Danner boots are one of the most popular linesman boots on the marker. Known for durability and high quality the Danner 8-inch alloy toe work. This is a 100% waterproof lineman boot made with durable GORE-TEX lining. It has an interesting and pretty design which makes it perfect for the more fashion conscious.
Another unique property of the Danner men’s quarry is the stitch down construction; stitch construction allows for boot expansion which is amazing for stability and balance.
These waterproof linesman boots are made with Vibram sole with a 90-degree angle. The Vibram quarry sole is also oil and heel resistant with a non-linear lug pattern that gives the wearer perfect traction and also releases debris smoothly.
The Danner men’s quarry 8-inch alloy steel toe is made with full grain leather and also has unique triple stitching.
Triple-stitched full grain leather guarantees you one of the best quality linesmen boot as this makes the boot not only high quality but also durable and long-lasting.
The shank of these linesmen boots are also made of fiberglass and coupled with its shock resisting soles it’s no wonder these boots are one of the best linesman boots you can buy.
- Beautiful and appealing design.
- Its alloy steel toe will protect you from electrical hazards.
- Stitch down construction to provide room for expansion.
- 100% waterproof with Gore-tex lining to increase breathability.
- It is very lightweight.
- Possesses a Vibram sole for increased traction, non-slip and oil resistant.
- It is a bit pricey compared to other boots.
- Its soles may wear faster than other boots.
2. Red Wing Men’s Iron Ranger 6″ Boot – best lineman boots for the money (Editor’s Choice)
If you want a pair of boots that are as beautiful as they are functional and durable then the red wing men’s iron ranger is the boot for you.
Made in a classic style the Iron Ranger, named after the miners who work Minnesota’s Iron range is a superior creation. The iron ranger is handcrafted to perfection with durable stitch down construction that offers maximum flexibility and expansion.
A feature that provides excellent balance and stability. These pull-on lineman boots are made with premium high-quality leather to make it durable. And they can last for years if not decades.
The sole of the iron ranger is made with nitrile cork making it slip resistant and also oil resistant. Redwing men’s iron ranger boots also come with a very comfortable insole although the staples used in construction might sometimes push through to cause a bit of discomfort.
When it comes to finishing the iron ranger is incomparable with beautiful contrasting stitching, taslan lace, high polish eyelets, and hooks.
It also comes in four different interesting colors namely: Brown, black harness, amber harness and Hawthorne muleskinner. For protective proposes the iron ranger has a full steel shank coupled with a bump toe.
- It’s a very beautiful and classic style lineman boot.
- It is Made with premium quality fine grade leather.
- It also has different colors which you can choose from.
- It’s a versatile all-purpose boot that can serve you in different capacities.
- Its nitrile cork makes it slip resistant and oil resistant.
- The outsole doesn’t have enough treads and could use some more.
- Sizes run higher than regular so always go a half size down when purchasing the boot.
3. La Sportiva Men’s Makalu Mountaineering Boot
Rugged and durable are the first words that came to our heads when we first spotted the red wing boots.
The Makalu mountaineering boots were made for surviving extremely harsh conditions and are therefore the perfect electrical linesman boot. The boots are made with special Idro-Perwanger leather that can repel water and keep the boots dry for the longest time.
The soles are made with a MtnFlex insole and full steel stank that makes it one of the strongest and most durable boots for linesmen.
Other interesting features include the roller ball hardware with steel eyelets and d-ball rings that make locking an easy breeze.
It also comes equipped with a honeycomb grid sole that provides comfort, and an SBR air cushion midsole that increases aeration.
The Makalu mountaineering boots are one of the best lineman boots for your money. They are water repellent, hard wearing and can resist most harsh conditions.
They also wick away moisture from your feet keeping you dry and clean for the longest time. Away from your job as a lineman, you can also use the Makalu for versatile purposes such as hiking, backpacking, and mountaineering as these boots are really durable.
- Its tough leather exterior makes it an excellent water repellant.
- Very good breathability.
- It possesses high-quality hooks and eyelets.
- High durability for harsh environments.
- Soft lining materials perfect for wicking away moisture.
- High-quality treads that give the best traction.
- The boots are not Waterproof.
- It has a narrow shape so may not be good for wide feet.
- Sizes come smaller than standardized sizing.
4. Chippewa Men’s 9″ Waterproof Insulated Steel-Toe Logger Boot
Chippewa boots have been an all American favorite since 1901 due to its supreme craftsmanship and attention to detail.
The Chippewa logger boot has a high heel that makes them one of the best waterproof, insulated lineman boots. The heels have been specially shaped to give proper grip when climbing ladders and towers.
The soles of the Chippewa logger boots are made from Vibram which helps give excellent traction, oil resistance, slip resistance and good abrasion.
Insulation is one of the properties a good lineman boot should possess as it protects the wearer from electrical hazards and the Chippewas come with 3M Thinsulate ultra protection. Thinsulate ultra protection provides thicker and better protection but is also lightweight and thin enough to allow for smooth movement.
These boots also use Chip-A-tex technology for its waterproof membrane and dri-lex for its lining. The insole of the boots is made from superior texon insoles that protect against moisture from both internal and external sources.
The Chippewa EH logger boot craftsmen also use Goodyear leather welt construction to create a functional and appealing design. The boots are breathable, waterproof and moisture proof.
- The 3M Thinsulate ultra protection gives you adequate protection against electrical hazards.
- Ruby Dri-lex easily eliminates moisture from your feet due to its porous nature.
- Chip-a-tex provides flawless waterproofing that kicks out water.
- Its Vibram Tacoma logger sole provides perfect anti-slip, oil resistance, abrasion and good traction.
- Chippewa boots are also lightweight and offer perfect support to the feet.
- Boots take more time to expand so might cause discomfort with first few wears.
- Laces are prone to fraying.
5. Wesco Highliner 10″ Lineman Work Boot Black – best climbing boots for a lineman.
Wesco boots are a very famous brand among linemen because of the ultimate protection they offer to linemen on the field. They are versatile, soft boots designed to keep the worker safe from most hazards.
They are made from full grain leather with a leather side flap and a removable tongue. The shaft of these particular Wesco highliner measure approximately ten inches from the arch. These boots possess a noncorrosive, ribbed steel shank that gives the wearer maximum comfort while still being protective.
The sole of the Wesco high liner is made with Vibram which gives it excellent anti-slip, oil resistance, good traction, and abrasion. It also has a recessed metal heel breastplate and this provides excellent protection for linemen while climbing up ladders and towers.
- It is made from durable leather which names a very high-quality boot.
- They have a lot of safety features especially for linemen.
- The arch provides smooth support and balance.
- Its Vibram soles protect the wearer from slip and fall.
- The lining is smooth and made from good material making the boots very comfortable.
- The shoes are quite expensive.
6. HOFFMAN BOOTS Men’s 10″ Powerline
If you’re looking for one of the best electrical lineman boots then the Hoffman boots are the boots for you.
These boots have a solid reputation among linemen as one of the most protective against water and electrical hazards. The Hoffman power line is one of the best climbing boots for linemen.
This is because it comes with dual steel shanks that were specially created to provide the best hang for climbing purposes. The upper part of the power line boots is made with superior quality leather that protects the feet against large quantities of water.
The liner of the Hoffman boots is also uniquely water resistant to help feet free of moisture for as long as possible. Electrical lineman all over can attest to the superior quality of the Hoffman ten inch power line boots, it helps them stay in the water for long periods of time without any fear of waterlogging their boors.
It also protects the wearer against electrical hazards and is perfect for climbing.
- The power line is waterproof with a really thick outer sole that adequately protects the wearer.
- It is a very warm shoe.
- Its patented Hoffman double steel shank makes it the ideal boots for climbing.
- Its stitching is lock stitched with triple seams.
- The power line boots are not as lightweight as other boots.
- They are best for climbing but not as good on the ground.
7. Carolina Linesman 10 Inch Waterproof – Composite toe lineman boots.
Another pair of boots that are absolutely perfect for climbing is the Carolina linesman ten-inch composite cork harness boots. These composite toe lineman boots have been specially created to make climbing of any surface really easy for the lineman.
Its upper leather is made from good quality cork harness leather that protects the wearer from the water. It also has composite toe cap that’s perfect for protecting the wearer against electrical hazards and other safety concerns.
These boots also come with an electrical hazard rating that makes it one of the safest boots a lineman could buy. While wearing these boots you are less worried about the electrical hazards as it gives the wearer full protection. It also has a shaft that’s approximately ten inches away from the arch giving more protection to the wearer.
It has a heavy-duty steel shank and a Vibram sole that provides traction, slip resistance, oil resistance and abrasion.
The boots are properly designed to provide comfort to the wearer as they also possess a footbed for managing heat and moisture, anti-fungal insole to protect feet from infections and a soft but sturdy outer sole.
- Composite toe safety offer adequate protection against damage.
- Its electrical rating protects the wearer from electrical hazards.
- It has a very sturdy grip.
- Interior of the boots is very comfortable and airy.
- Good quality leather upper.
- Properly designed.
- Takes time to break in.
- Might lose eyelets easily.
8. Kenetrek Lineman Extreme Ni St Brown Boots – lightweight lineman boots.
If you desire a pair of beautiful and efficient boots then the kenetrek lineman extreme is right up your alley. These boots are made from really thick full grain leather and are constructed with a seamless tongue to make the kenetrek extreme boots really waterproof.
The kenetrek extreme lineman boots are a really comfortable pair of boots. They come with extra padded soft collars designed to make the wearer feel smooth and comfortable while on the job.
Because linemen climb uneven surfaces the midsoles of the kenetrek boots come with superb nylon midsoles that give the right amount of support for the feet. The sole is also reinforced with rubber to protect the treads from abrasion.
Kenetrek lineman extreme boots use windtex membranes over the leather to make them waterproof and breathable with an elasticity that allows for durability and easy breaking in. these shoes have a very appealing design with a lace locking system that allows you to tighten your laces in sections.
The stitching on these boots is also double and triple stitching to ensure the boots are sturdy and firm.
- Windtex membrane makes it the perfect waterproof boot.
- New lace locking system increases the comfort of shoes.
- The boots are very lightweight.
- They are easy to break in and don’t hurt the feet as much.
- They are made with thick full grain leather.
- No insulation for extra safety.
- A bit on the pricey side.
How to Choose the Right Pair of Lineman Boots – Buyer’s Guide
A good pair of work boots is an important tool in the lineman’s arsenal. Good boots have the ability to protect you from all sorts of hazards like water hazards, electrical hazards, heat, and moisture retention amongst others.
It is clear that a good pair of boots can make all the difference between a comfortable day at work and a dreadful day. The work of a lineman requires constant movement and activity and it sometimes requires working in environments that are considered harsh.
This is why you need a pair of boots that are not only comfortable but also durable.
Lineman boots are a bit on the expensive side, so buying and replacing boots every six months makes no economic sense.
You should always spring for high-quality boots that can last you years if not decades.
Not only will boots like these last you a really long time but they will perform magnificently on the job giving you maximum value for your money.
Here are the things to look out for when choosing lineman boots:
Your lineman boots primary function should be its ability to save you from the hazards of the job.
As a lineman, you’re especially prone to injury and every little bit of protection counts for you. Your boots should be preferably be insulated and have an electrical safety rating so it can provide you with the maximum security needed for the job.
They should also give you the most traction and grip to keep your body steady as you climb up and down electrical poles.
A few of the more important safety features are listed below:
Your shoes need to be able to protect you from the dangers of climbing wet electrical poles. Electrical accidents can occur when water on the skin comes in direct contact with electricity and as such it is best to always wear waterproof as an added measure of protection.
An insulated lineman boot is one of the best features for added protection. A waterproof and insulated boot can protect you from water, electricity, chemical, oils, and debris which can cause problems for you while working.
Breathable shoes provide the most comfortable for you while working. If your shoes are properly aerated and offer the right amount of support you can protect your body from hip pains, joint pains, tendonitis, and so on.
The job of a lineman requires you to stand for long hours on high electrical poles and your body, therefore, needs all the support it can get.
Working as a lineman requires you to climb long electrical poles and as such you need to buy shoes that will provide you with as much traction as possible. Your feet need to be firm, oil resistant and slip resistant.
Boots with good traction make climbing a faster and easier process and also stop you from sliding and slipping. The soles of your boots also help to keep your feet comfortable throughout the workday.
The quality of the boots is one of the key factors to be considered while making the choice between boots. Lineman boots are quite expensive and as such need to be durable to justify the expense. The boots you buy should both appealing and also long-lasting.
The best lineman boots are only made from premium materials and anything less than best would probably not last as long as you would like it to. The boots should also be easy to break in and also easy to maintain as these two factors can help you save you a whole lot of time and money.
Buying the best lineman boots upfront can save you a lot of stress, time and money. Lineman boots are essential for anyone who has to do a lot of electrical work.
They offer protection against any of the numerous hazards of the job and they’re also quite stylish and versatile. You can also wear some of the boots mentioned above for purposes other than work as they’re both durable and comfortable.
Functionality is however key when picking out lineman boots and you should always go for the boots that offer the most protective features.