For enthusiastic campers out there, we know how important it is to get a good night’s rest. Which is why it’s wise to invest in a good quality camping cot that will not only let you snooze comfortably but will also be a handy piece of furniture whether you are camping outdoors or just having f
While there are many camping cots to choose from, you would definitely want to choose one that is not just reasonable but is also of good quality so you don’t suffer from back problems after your camping experiences.
If you are looking for some of the best camping cots, look no further as we walk you through all the pros and cons of each one to help you seal the best deal.
Top-Rated Camping Cots For Bad Back 2019
Reviews of the Best Camping Cots For Bad Back
1. Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot
Our first pick for this article is the Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot which guarantees comfort over anything else. If you are looking for a sturdy yet comfortable cot to rest on, then the Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot will not disappoint.
With a dimension of (85x40x19) inch (216x102x48 cm), it is almost larger than a twin bed and quite spacious which can be paired with the TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camp Pad for added comfort. When folded down, the cot becomes a compact version of 42x12x7 inches (107x30x18 cm), which is very easy to travel with given that it weighs only 26 pounds (11.8 kg).
It has the patented aluminum frame which ensures it is lightweight and has easy-attach connecting pins for quick set up. The firm frame ensures it provides maximum support, with the s-leg design to make sure it’s sturdy while the innovative rubber bushings to absorb shock.
And that’s not all as the Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot has Limited Lifetime warranty offer!
- The Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot is larger than a twin bed, therefore very spacious
- Quick and easy to set up
- Long lasting and sturdy as it is made with good quality materials
- Can be easily folded and carried for transport
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Since it a bit large, it can be difficult to carry when hiking
- Can be a bit uncomfortable if used without the TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camp Pad
2. ALPS Mountaineering Camp Cot
To ensure that we review products that provide the best comfort, the next in line is the ALPS Mountaineering Camp Cot. It not only provides a solution for camping but also can be used indoors when in need of an extra bed.
With a dimension of 50 x 8 x 6 inches, it is quite comfortable for sleeping and a weight of 22.8 pounds (10.34 Kg) ensures it can be carried while camping. It also has sturdy steel connectors combined with a canvas made of 600D polyester fabric which proves to be a very comfortable option for sleepers.
Besides all that, it comes in two exciting sizes: large and X-large so it can suit the needs of all kinds of sleepers.
- Easy to set up
- Spacious and quite comfortable
- Rounded cross bars that do not rip tent floors
- Strong polyester fabric type material
- Solid steel construction
- “Floor Saver” Foot Adds Stability
- Chemical smell from the canvas, but usually goes away after a while
- Quite comfortable on its own, but combining with sleeping pad makes it even better.
3. Coleman Comfort Smart Cot
The Coleman Comfort Smart Cot has dimensions of 80 x 31 x 15 which is quite comfortable, given that it supports up to 275 pounds (124 Kgs). Furthermore, its strong folding steel frame weighs about 21.5 pounds (9.8 kgs) which actually makes it comparatively lighter and easier to carry.
The Comfort Smart coil suspension feature, besides a foam mattress pad which gives it that bed-like feel makes it stand apart from the rest. An amazing feature of this cot is that, people as tall as 6 ft. 6 in. can easily fit in as it is designed especially for them.
And if that’s not enough, it also comes with a limited one year warranty!
- Fits snugly in your car trunk when folded
- Built with Smart Coil suspension feature that makes it feel as comfortable as a bed
- Rustproof sturdy steel frame
- Thick mattress padding made of foam ensures you do not need any additional sleeping pad
- Usable at both home and outdoors
- Will support about 275 lbs (124 kg) without sagging in the middle
- Uncomfortable for people taller than 5 feet 7 inches.
- Must be folded without the mattress as it spreads out
- Since the mattress isn’t secured, it may slip around a bit when sleeping
4. Chinook Heavy Duty Padded Cot
Up next online, we have the Chinook Heavy Duty Padded Cot, also known as “The ultimate bed for camp or cottage”, is a comfortably padded camping cot which can be set up by simply unfolding it. The feature that stands out the most is that it has an adjustable backrest, which can be changed according to your comfort.
Measuring 13.4 x 12 x 3.9 inches and weighing 17 pounds, it can also take a load of about 375 pounds. In addition to that, it has a padded sleeping surface made of 600-denier nylon fabric and also comes with a built-in pillow for extra warmth and better comfort.
It has a strong aluminum frame with height adjustment system, and also folds up easily for travel or storage, making it a choice for both indoors and outdoors.
- Tough nylon fabric and built-in pillow for extra comfort
- Backrest and height can be adjusted
- Heavily padded for added support and comfort
- Sturdy welded aluminum frame
- Not ideal for backpackers due to the weight and bulky size of the bed.
- The mattress to be too firm to camp outside
- The foot of the cot doesn’t have a leg, which makes it an unsafe spot to sit on.
- The heavy padded mattress can be too hot to use in warmer weather
- The size of this cot can also make it unsuitable for smaller one-person tents
5. Byer of Maine EasyCot – Ideal for Camping and Hunting
For our last pick, we have the Byer of Maine Easy Cot with its carry bag with a shoulder strap which makes it super easy to carry and assemble under a very short time. Simply unfold to enjoy a good night’s rest be it camping outdoors or for sleepovers or guests indoors.
It has dimensions of 78″L X 31″W X 18″H ensures it is wide enough to accommodate people over 6′ tall, and yet high enough to provide enough storage space underneath. With a frame made of welded steel for the legs and 600 denier polyester fabric, the 21 pounds cot is incredibly strong for its size and holds up to 330pounds.
- Comfortable for both indoors and outdoors
- Can be used by people as tall as 6’.
- Fast set up as it has no loose parts
- Easy to move with a carrying bag with shoulder strap
- Reliable welded steel legs for secured support
- Requires a little practice to set up initially
- Slightly heavy for carrying long distances
For your ease, we’ve tried to group them into further categories, so you can easily choose the best one!
|Teton Sports Outfitter XXL||ALPS Mountaineering||Coleman Comfort Smart||Chinook Padded Cot||Byer of Maine Cot|
|Best camping beds for bad backs||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Best queen size camping cot||Yes||Yes|
|Best cots for tent camping||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Best sleeping cot for camping||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Camping beds for tents||Yes|
|The best bed for camping in a tent||Yes|
Buyer’s Guide – Factors to consider when buying the best camping cot for a bad back
To ensure that you buy something that you make an educated choice when buying your camping cot, there are certain things you need to remember when making your purchase.
This buying guide will cover these important factors that you need to know before choosing a cot that meets your specific requirements, or in this case, to prevent a bad back!
The first thing you should look for in a cot is the amount of support that it can provide, especially when you have to worry about a bad back. You definitely want something that lifts you up by at least a decent amount of height from the ground and remains steady while you rest.
Right after support, you need to remember why you were buying a cot in the first place. That’s right, you need to keep your comfort in mind. You don’t want a scruffy support that will make your back itch or a mattress that keeps slipping, which means it should be padded with a good quality fabric material, or at the very least, have a nice flat surface so you can place an additional pad if needed.
There really isn’t any point in buying a cot if you can’t even lie down comfortably. Make sure to get one that is big enough to suit your needs, there are numerous models out there with their dimensions and sizes specified clearly to suit the height and space you require. The TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camp Pad, for instance, has a dimension of (85x40x19 ) inch, which is almost larger than a twin bed, therefore ensuring maximum space and comfort.
Assembling or Setting it up
This one’s tricky because some cots have extra parts that need to be attached when assembling, while others are pre-packed in such a way that you just need to unfold them and they’re good to go. You don’t want to put up with something that needs a lot of work to assemble, and so make sure to look carefully at the instructions and choose the one you feel will be easy for you.
Whether you want to take your cot outdoors or use it indoors, you want to be sure that it doesn’t take up a lot of space when storing. There are cots that fold down and fit easily in your trunk and don’t take up much space when storing and are therefore easier to bring in your camping trips.
Frequently Asked Questions about Camping Cot
Q. Is it safe to sit on the edge of a camp cot?
Ans. Camp cots are not designed to put up with weight on their side rails since they are collapsible most of the time. This hasn’t been mentioned earlier because the main purpose of the article was to find cots that provide the best options for sleeping only. We recommend that you only apply weight to the center of the cot to prevent any mishap.
Q. How to get rid of the chemical smells in some cots?
Ans. Cots can sometimes smell because of the materials used (e.g. rubber, or fabric or paint). In such a case, we would advise to let the cot sit in open air for a few hours or spray something that would minimize the odor.
Q. Why do the dimensions seem different when I measure my cot?
Ans. The pad on the cot usually takes some time to expand to its full length, which could be a reason as to why the measurements don’t seem to add up. Another reason could be that the measurements are rounded up when packaged which means that measurements will sometimes vary slightly.
Camp cots are the ultimate solutions for a good night’s rest for those adventurous individuals who love being outdoors. Investing in a cot that will last long as well as provide the ultimate comfort will be the first step to prevent mishaps like catching a cold or a bad back.
If comfort is your ultimate goal above everything else, then the spacious Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot will be the best option from amongst all the others.
Although a bit on the expensive side, it is portable and can easily fit into your car’s trunk while traveling, has good quality materials which make it long lasting, and above all, it provides the exact comfort that you need for a bad back.